The significant hazards of dry ice include burns and asphyxiation. Always take proper safety precautions when handling, storing or transporting dry ice. Protect yourself with these safety guidelines:


Dry ice is -109º F, which is cold enough to freeze skin cells, causing an injury similar to a burn. Always handle dry ice with protective gloves, tongs or a towel to avoid dry ice coming into contact with skin. Protective eyewear and long sleeve shirts are also recommended. In case of prolonged contact with skin obtain medical treatment immediately.

When using dry ice, always do so in a well-ventilated, open space. Use of dry ice in poorly ventilated areas can result in depletion of the oxygen level resulting in asphyxiation.

Never leave dry ice unattended or within reach of children. Dry ice is not edible. If ingested, seek medical treatment immediately.


Dry ice sublimates into gaseous carbon dioxide (CO2), so be sure to store it in an insulated, but not tightly sealed, container or outdoors

Never put dry ice in a container that is completely airtight. When dry ice sublimates into carbon dioxide gas, the gas pressure increases, causing airtight containers to expand and possibly rupture or explode.

Never store dry ice in a freezer as the fan pushes air across the surface causing it to sublimate faster. It has the potential to damage the freezer as well.


Use caution when transporting dry ice in a vehicle. If this product is not transported with proper ventilation, it can cause the air inside the vehicle to become toxic with a build up of carbon dioxide and present a suffocation hazard. If presented with breathing difficulties, leave the vehicle immediately.

It is always best to transport dry ice in the bed of a pickup truck or have it delivered to you by professionals.

Dry ice should always be used in accordance with safety data sheet recommendations. See hazards, first aid measures and other information related to the safe use of dry ice.


information sheet



information sheet